Monday, August 30, 2010

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe...

Looking back, if I had known how much heavier a pack felt on an incline, how persistent flies and mosquitoes could be in their pursuits, how steeply the ridges would fall off into cliffs, how much longer fifteen miles would feel when your ankles and knees are battered and bruised, would I have been as enthusiastic about starting the journey? Honestly, no. The ignorance was bliss, but I would have still gone on the trip (and would do it again) because what it gives is worth every bit it takes from you – your breath is stripped away by natural beauty at every turn and your rest breaks are entertained by the interminable energy of playful marmots and chipmunks. And, something I did not expect in the least, was that the mountain gives a new openness to people. There is a friendliness in complete strangers that is inaccessible given our wariness in daily life.

Conversation, advice, and goodwill are shared freely on the trail, and everyone hopes for a successful completion of everyone else's adventures. Some of the best moments in our journey were experienced after setting down our packs at a new camp and meeting the neighbors because everyone who makes it out onto the trail wants to be there, and that shared desire provides the perfect common ground for a sense of ease.

Hiking in general is personal, and everyone has their own goals and challenges. Hiking the Wonderland Trail was a personal test for myself – a test of my drive, my confidence, my wants, my independence, my friendships, my preparedness, my learning, my physical ability, and my self-reflection. Climbing up and down each ridge was a quaint metaphor for life; we had a general idea of what to expect along the way but each sight, sound, and smell and every step, slip, and recovery was exploration of newness and acquirement of familiarity. We had a simple goal – to finish the whole Wonderland Trail – and we accomplished it with huge grins. But ‘finishing’ the whole trail is really just the easiest, smallest way of conveying the greater essence of the journey to friends and family. I felt like I was able to do something more impossible - conquer a part of myself.     


Note of Thanks: I am very lucky to have a friend like Katie, and I thank her immensely for agreeing without question to be my ultra-prepared hiking buddy. As Katie said throughout the trip, you only make it if the other person does, too – so make sure you hike with great people! Oh, and Katie, your Buddha bag is the best!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment